City of Austin
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus two (2) years of custodial, building maintenance or construction work.
Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Texas Class “C” Operator’s License.
Notes to Applicants
The purpose of this position is to perform repairs and building maintenance on PARD facilities. This position will inspect buildings and equipment assets for needed repairs and perform the required carpentry work to repair walls, ceilings, floors, siding, etc. Additional primary duties will include operating pickup truck while sometimes pulling and/or backing a trailer, reading blue prints, use of pneumatic and electrical power tools, such as nail guns, jackhammers, drills, saws, grinders, sanders, and impact wrenches. This position will also install or replace floors and ceramic tiles, move office furniture and equipment, measure and layout using measuring tape, squares, string line and transit.
Physical Requirements: With other personnel assistance, tasks may involve occasional lifting, pushing, carrying or using a force equal to less than 100 pounds.
Driver’s License and other Certifications:
- If selected as a Top Candidate, a Texas Class C Driver’s License or have the ability to acquire one by the date of hire will be required.
- A three (3) year driving record will be required.
Resume and Cover Letter are required, but will not be accepted in lieu of a complete online Employment Application.
- A detailed, complete Employment Application is required to help better evaluate the applicant’s qualifications (employment dates must include month and year). The application will be used to determine salary for the Top Candidate that is selected for this position.
- Applicants must include on their Employment Application all experience (work and/or volunteer).
- Verification of employment history dates on resume should match online Employment Application – Statements such as “See Resume” will not be accepted.
Military/Veteran Preference for Interview Process
An applicant claiming Military/Veteran status must provide a copy of his or her DD-214(s), or valid comparable document, at the time of interview.
An assessment may be given to the top candidate(s).
This position requires a Criminal Background Investigation. ( CBI )
$14.00 – $16.77
Monday – Friday 6:30 am to 3:00 pm: evening, weekend and holiday work will vary.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Parks & Recreation
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
2525 S. Lakeshore Blvd – Central Maintenance Complex
- five (5) or more years experience in building maintenance and/or construction of commercial buildings.
- five (5) or more years experience in commercial door and hardware installation, maintenance, and repair.
- five (5) or more years experience in metal, composition, and modified roofing installation and repair.
- five (5) or more years experience in hardwood, VCT , and laminate flooring installation and repair.
- five (5) or more years experience in drywall tape, float, and texture of sheetrock.
- five (5) or more years experience in interior and exterior painting with conventional and airless paint spraying equipment.
Preferred Licenses and/or Certifications:
- OSHA Construction Safety and Health 29 CFR 1910 Training Certificate
- Aerial Lift 29 CFR 1926.453 Training Certificate
- Fork Lift 29 CFR 1910.178 Training Certificate
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Inspects buildings and equipment for needed repairs and maintenance. Performs minor repairs to tables, chairs, cabinets, etc. Installs or replaces floor and ceramic tiles. Repairs or replaces electric plugs and cords.
2. Drives vehicles as needed.
3. Moves furniture, file cabinets, equipment, etc. using hand dollies.
4. Performs service on pumps, air handlers, cooling towers, etc.
5. Repacks, changes oil/filters, lubricates, etc.
6. Operates drills, buffers, grinders, sanders, etc. Operate various power saws, i.e., radial arm, skill, etc. Operates acetylene cutting torch, welder, etc.
7. Performs basic plumbing installations/repairs i.e., install and repair faucets, unclog drains, replace valves, etc.
8. Measures using tapes, transits, levels, etc.
9. Performs semi-skilled carpentry work in the construction and repair of walls, ceilings, etc.
10. Reads profiles/blueprints.
Responsibilities – Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of equipment, methods, and materials used in routine carpentry, ground maintenance and basic plumbing.
Knowledge of equipment, methods, and materials used in moderate levels of construction, i.e. building walls, hanging doors and windows.
Knowledge of proper safety practices and procedures.
Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Ability to operate power tools.
Ability to read and understand simple blueprints.
Skill in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.